Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hakuna Matata

Copy of an email I sent out. and regarding the title, Hakuna Matata is actually Swahili for No Worries. Darn these Africans, making me giggle so. Now I got bits of the lion king song stuck in my head.

----------
Hello all!

First off, yes, I'm still alive and everyone I know is still alive.
I'm alive an kickin'! No injuries or anything either so no one has
touched me in a harmful manner... at least I don't think so. If they
did, they really suck at doing harm cause I didn't notice. Though the
same can't be said for other Kenyan's around me but luckily most
people I've met and know are fine. One Kenyan guy I met got the beat
down by the police, broken arm and ribs I believe, but he's young and
he'll be fine.

Secondly, if you don't know what I'm talking about, Kenya has erupted
in violence after some election fraud where the sitting president
rigged the election when the opposition would have won. short
timeline available here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clashes_in_Kenya_%282007%E2%80%93present%29
and here's an article i found from a guy in Kakamega which is the city
I was in for Christmas. I stayed there until today, the 2nd, biding
my time for the best time to travel. Which was today, no
transportation was available prior to today and after tomorrow's big
event, who knows what will happen.
http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5102&Itemid=5848

I'll write more later on my blog talking about a fair number of things
that have occurred in the past weeks. Sorry it took me so long to
write but I was without internet access in Kakamega (or running water!
african showers and african toilets baby!) so now that I am back on
the farm here I am. Also, cellphone credits are severely limited as
most users (including myself) are pre-paid and now there are no
pre-paid cards to buy, just as other basic commodities are getting
difficult to purchase (like food in the city). I'm out of credit so
my cellphone is essentially a receive only device.

I won't be coming home because of this as I think I now know why I
felt so strongly about coming down here before christmas, before
thanksgiving. If I had waited, I wouldn't have come (for obvious
reasons). I don't know what God has planned for me down here, but if
I felt so strongly about coming down this year before the holidays, I
think I can safely assume it was for a reason related to the recent
violence.

Again, I'll write more later (tomorrow probably), with more indepth of
experiences and elections. Good night.

oh, and to end on a better note I just killed 2 spiders. sweet.

and even better, i got to eat cow intestine and cow stomach (or
something, i dunno, it had a lot of dangly things on it). mmm mmm
good! .... and chewy. veeeery chewy.

John

No comments: