Friday, January 18, 2008

Compuka Urine

I gotta get this down before I forget any details. Tonight I had another little fiasco with the youngest African boy.

While I was talking about some things on Wolfgangs IBook Apple Laptop thingy with Stephanie (one of the German gals), the youngest boy in that house, Mustafa, came by and was drinking some compukat (spelling? I dunno. It's a fruit juice that is carbonated by a mushroom. crazy germans!). In the midst of all this, he put his cup down ontop of the laptop, on the keyboard. Now, any one who's ever been around a computer knows this is a no no. So my immediate, natural reaction was to quickly remove the cup with a "aaaaaaye! Don't put that on the computer! Not near a computer". Mustafa, not one to take any sort of reprimand in any kind of pleasant way puts the cup down next to the computer. Not on it this time, but next to it. Seeing where this is going (spilled carbonated, sugary liquid on or near the computer) and not needing that, I grab the cup and down it in a quick gulp.

This did not make Mustafa happy.

I should clarify before hand, normally Mustafa and I are great friends (he's age 10ish). But any sort of reprimand really goats these African's. So, having gone through Mustafa's "you did something to me so you should fix it even though your actions where clearly in response to something I did that I shouldn't have done" he proceeded to complain heavily and wanted me to get him more compukat. He gives me the cup, I put it down on the table (not where the laptop is, but the dining room table). He gets it, complains somemore and gives it to me again. We go through this who knows how many times. Unfortunatly, his patience at 'being wronged' surpasses my 'I can only handle so much'. Last time we had our little complaint-fest I had to leave before I exploded. and actually I just went and did some pull ups. Highest number of pull ups I've ever done. Pretty proud of that, though it took an hour of built up adrenaline and angst to do it. anyways, sidetrack. This time around both Stephanie and myself are rolling eyes and explaining over and over again why I drank his compukat, and that if he want's more, there is some right there on the dining room table. But to no avail, as Mustafa doesn't listen and continues to complain and wants me to get him compuka since I drank it. Being the big-egoed, hard hearted, disciplinarian I am, that's not gonna happen. At one point, Stephanie says "fine!" and is about to get up and get Mustafa some compukat. I say, somewhat forcibly, "Nine!" (German 'no') and she doesn't get up. I apologize later for that to her, as my agitation was directed at Mustafa not her (whoops!). But I was heavily angered at this point. Incessant complaining over nothing gets to me. In fact, I'm getting all antsy about it now. Seriously, never come me whining about nothing.

Anywhoo, I end up closing the laptop and picking Mustafa up (thankfully he's light) and going over to the couch where we continue 'dialogue' for a while longer. Luckily I have decently fast reflexes when my angst is up and adrenaline is pumping so most times he goes to pinch, punch or slap me I can grab his arm and prevent it. Not that it hurts (he doesn't do it that hard, more of a authority thing) but that I won't allow him to do that to me for obvious reasons. Anyways, eventually I say if he wants his compuka back, he can get it back in a couple hours after my body is done with it. Not to be outdone Mustafa calls my bluff and wants it back in the same cup. Me and my big mouth.

Being a man of my word to someone like Mustafa is more important attempting to not do dumb things. Thus, a couple hours later I go to the restroom and relieve myself. I call him into the bathroom, ask him which bathroom cup is his and tell him to enjoy his processed compuka, and to please flush the toilet when he's done. Then I make my exit, hoping that he will flush the toilet and be done. Not quite what happened, but the rest isn't to eventful.

I'm not a parent, but I do my best with the weird issues these kids have. Maybe not the best solution, but it seems works out in the end. All the boys still like me. Either way, next time I hope I remember that they call bluffs. I gotta watch what I say as it better be something I can do if pressed. I don't need to show off my urine again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh...Oh John...John..John...Kids ALWAYS call bluffs...ALWAYS! I had to laugh, your friend and you were sounding a lot like you were parenting whether you intended to or not...sounded JUST like my house. Go to bed Lee..NO! MY God told me I don't have too...(as I'm snickering Frank takes this one) Frank " Well my God told me that you need to go to bed..." Lee "No he didn't" (this continues and I'm laughing hysterically) I looked at Frank and said to him, someone needs to tell that boy his God and our God are one in the same...and He says "Thou Shalt Obey Thy Parents"...So what does Frank do? He goes in there and says it to Frank. HAHAHAHA...he was arguing with a 3 year old, sometimes you just have to stop and leave it alone. Anyway, cracked me up you doing some parenting...but what you guys were doing doesn't sound any different than what Frank and I do or sound like.

Anonymous said...

If you read my previouse comment there's part in there where Frank goes into Lee's room, he's talking to Lee not himself...although that MAY have occured but you get what I'm saying.

Amber said...

Um. John, I think you just lost any potential baby-sitting jobs. But I applaud your anger management-workout methods.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to ask...what exactly did Mustafa do with said urine?