Thursday, January 24, 2008

On my Soapbox - Forgiveness

So I was asked to give the 'sermon' for morning devotions last Thursday (1 week ago). We have a morning 'devotion' monday through friday at 7am. Fairly short, less than 20 minutes. Usually it's just a couple songs, a short "sermon" or talking point that someone gives, and announcements for the day.

The subject I chose for the devotion was on forgiveness. Props go to Mr. Mike Saia for giving me my initial teaching on this. I didn't do it justice in 4 minutes, but hey, the basics are easy enough.

But anyways, let me get on my soapbox and get all "into yo' face." I gave my devotion on Forgiveness because I think understanding forgiveness is huge. Especially for areas where violent behavior and tribal warfare is occuring. With the way some Kenyan's treat eachother, no one forgiving anyone, generationally not forgiving others, it's easy to see how tribal violence could escalate from a stupid election. The key point I gave was that is is equally important to ask for forgiveness as it is to accept forgiveness. If one doesn't ask for forgiveness, you can't be forgiven. And you can't forgive someone without them asking you for forgiveness and repenting.

Some people disagree with that conclusion, that you can't forgive someone unless they ask. But whether you agree or not, I am not saying that it is okay to be bitter and hold it against someone. But to be like the Lord as quoted in Psalms, "ready to forgive". God doesn't hold things against me, He isn't bitter about what I do, I have consequences for my actions, but by asking for forgiveness, mercy is available.

Psalms 86:5
For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You.

Forgiveness is huge I can't express how big it is. I believe unforgiveness is one of the root causes of the violence in Kenya, one of the root causes of tribalism, racism, and many other 'isms' and such bigoty that seperates man from man, woman from child. When you don't forgive, and aren't willing to forgive, you do no harm to that person who wronged you. That is another key point. Worth repeating.

When you don't forgive, and aren't willing to forgive, you do no harm to that person who wronged you. People often don't understand this. They think, "they hurt me, I'm not going to forgive them". Makes me laugh. They hurt you, so what do you go and do? Continue to hurt yourself? Idiot. What does it matter to the person who wronged you? If they repent, then they're in the clear, it helps them significantly if you accept their forgiveness and repentance, but if you don't, they've done their part. They can go about their life. They've repented and are now back on track with life and improving it therein. Yet you're stuck with this unforgiveness which creates all kinds of unpleasantness in you. You hold on to unforgiveness and you'll be a bitter old rocking chair man, or a bitter old hag. Don't be.

Maybe not even a hag or old bitter man, maybe instead you transfer your bitterness towards one man to your son, and he applies that to that man's tribe/race/color/fingernail size/whatever. It's common enough to hear about something that so and so did to your father's father's aunt's cousin. So you want to kill their entire tribe.

Seriously, following Christ's example of forgiveness will cure you of your hate. And for those Christians out there who practice such bigotry, shame on you. Re-read the Bible.

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
-Matthew 6:14-15

1 comment:

Amber said...

Well said, Jolly man.