Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Week 1 Events, Kakamega

So like i said prior, I visited a place called Kakamega. Now, one point of clarification before i start, when I say Kakamega, I could be referring to the Church OR the town. I'm sorry, it's just habit now to refer to the chuch as Kakamega. I'll attempt to utilize the term "church" but I make no promises.

So the Kakamega Church (see! told you I'd try) is loosely connected to my home church, Westside through work we've done with them and some financial help. Through that connection I am meeting up with these guys. I just stayed the night there and got back late the next afternoon (a bit before men's bible study); and in that 25 hour period, a couple key events:

Trip Over to Kakamega
I was picked up late due to a mechanical issue with the car (break line finally broke) so I got to see first hand the Kenyan mechanic shop! or rather, lane. It was a street of old cars everywhere, people everywhere, parts strewn everywhere. Pretty awesome. Dr. George showed the bad peice and off the guys when on a quest to find the part. 20 or so minutes later we got the part, they haggled for a bit, I was able to pick up that they were fighting between 5 to 6 hundred shillings for the line (8-10 bucks); and ended up with a happy 550.

We also stopped by one of the guy's parents or sisters house for some Chai and Ugali. Apparently Kenyan's just drink a tea called Chai. No other flavors. In fact it was directly mentioned that he didn't understand why so many flavors. Chai with a couple scoops of sugar is apparently the way to go. Ugali was pretty sweet though. Kind of a doughy, heavy bread that you squish in your hand and scoop up some boiled, spiced greens. First taste of authentic Kenyan food!! Then they brought out the milk; to which I was happy about. Sounded good at the time. Then they mentioned that I might not like it as it was fermented. Ever seen chewable milk? whoooooa there. While it actually didn't taste too bad (I could stomach about half a cup) it was one of the more 'odd' things I've seen. Pretty stomach turning to a Westerner, seeing milk slop into your cup! hehe. Like I said though, tasted alright. Like a mix of plain, unsweetened yogurt with the consistency of watered down cottage cheese.

Simon's Cell Group / Small Group:
Let me tell you, these African guys know to give an intro. When Simon introduced me to his cell group, I have to admit, I sounded pretty awesome! Hehe, just kidding... kinda. Seriously though, most of you know how I dislike being the center of attention but here I was crowded into a very small room with about 13 people where I was the center of attention; and then to have a pastor (Simon is one of the pastors at the church so he's a practiced orator) talk about me or at least a solid minute. Can we say awkward? No worries though, I thought I made a pretty good comeback, err... introduction and thanks, when it was my turn to say something. I don't remember what I said, but it's one of those times where God helps me out because I was not only articulate but had a solid message/greeting. And you all again know that's not me! That's one thing I do love about missions, God always seems to be a little more obvious in the simple things. Maybe it's that way normally, or maybe I just depend on Him less. but that's some spiritual thoughts for later.

"African Shower"
Slept at Simon's place. Nice house. But I found out later that their plumbing wasn't fully finished. I actually started to suspect when told "We'll make the preparations" when I accepted his offer of a shower. Huh? Preparations? His response to my look was a smile and something about experiencing an African Shower. About half an hour later I was led outside to their latrine/shower where one room had a hole in the ground (a good 40 feet deep) and some toilet paper; and the other room had a candle, a bucket of water (warm!! whooo hoo) and soap. So picture this if you dare! Me, bucknaked, crouching over a bucket of water holding soap. wait, actually I don't know if I want you to picture that. Bucknaked crouched men are not the best to have dangling in ones cerebral cortex. .... hehe, sorry, I never stop when it starts to get inappropriate... and i love it.... anywhoo, I started to wash but cut it short when I got the water soapy and then realized that with soapy water it would be difficult to wash off the soap on my body. I made do with what I had and ended the shower. Next time, avoid the soap in the clean water. Note taken.

Detention Center
I posted a number of pictures that describe the place pretty well, check those out for visual and text. I got to give a couple speeches there; let's hope I get good at this before God does the ol' "push the bird out of the nest".

And that's roughly it for Kakamega! oh, and politically, Obama is from the area I guess, so everyone there want's Obama to win. and yes, it was hard for me to "keep out of a political discussion" but I did it. aren't you proud?

Upcoming Events!
Awesome Farmer's Tan in the Making! Wait till you see how my sandle tan is turning out!
December 9th I get to give the Church sermon! my that's getting close.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone on all aspects of your time in Africa!! Good luck and take care!

Anita said...

Okay, I left you the last comment with the Kudos in it...:) Sorry.