Thursday, November 8, 2007

More Information about Kenya

So I learned the following the other day:

I will be able to help out at multiple locations in Kenya.

Miwani:
The Farm. This is where I will spend a majority of my time. The people on the farm are working hard to try to make the farm self sustaining (as in the money it makes from goods, support it's costs). Right now it still relies partly on donations from churches (like mine). They have multiple projects going on that involve things like: Methane Gas produces for houses (utilize cow manure to make gas. Apparently local kids deliver cow manure to houses for methane gas production. High Quality Goats Milk, the wife of the current "manager" down there is a horticulturist and produces specialized feed for their goats. And apparently goats milk helps alleviate a number of AIDS symptoms. I don't know if the Farms special goat feed is primarily towards helping aids people or not. Irrigation, I guess the farm also attempts to utilize, cheap, never before seen in Africa, irrigation systems. Some kind of drip irrigation, I don't know any details, but I'm assuming as it's a 3rd world country it has a lot of 'bang for it's buck' and is easy to repair and maintain.

Kakamenga: About 30 minutes north of the Farm in Miwani, there is a Church there that supports a number of humanitarian activities and is involved with the people at Miwani. The head pastor there has 3 boys (1 son, 2 son in laws) who all do a number of humanitarian activities. 1 son in kakamenga became the head of a boy's detention center and totally revolutionized the place. Right now there are around 350 boys and I guess before he was head it was in pretty sorry conditions (the boys had worms, bed sores, were fed gruel, totally oliver twist). Presently I guess it's a lot better and the boys are happy. Another son in Nairobi, works with orphans. I won't interact with him too much as he is in Nairobi and is about an 8 hour bus ride from the Farm in Miwani. But he will meet me in Nairobi as that is where my plane lands and provide a place to stay for the night and get me to the bus the next morning.

I don't know how accurate all of this is as I'm going off of memory from a meeting I had, but the general ideas should be correct and it looks like there is a lot of opportunities to really make a difference and help out. Should be good.

T-8 Days!

No comments: